Random acts of violence are just that—random, and being able to defend oneself with a firearm can make all the difference in the outcome. From our 2021 Armed Citizen® library, read about these brave women who were prepared to defend themselves and the lives of their loved ones.
1. A married couple sitting in their car in a Walmart parking was startled when a stranger approached the wife on the passenger side. Security footage showed that an argument ensued, at which point the unarmed husband got out of the vehicle to address the situation. However, the stranger took out a knife and charged the man, prompting the husband to back away several yards in an attempt to create distance. At that point the wife exited the vehicle and came to the defense of her husband with her concealed-carry pistol, firing one shot at the attacker. The assailant, who had been hit in the throat, was reported in critical condition. The woman was not expected to face charges. (abc30.com, Fresno, Calif., 5/5/21)
2. A California woman woke up one morning to find an intruder in her closet, armed with multiple knives, including a machete. The woman, whose two small children were also home at the time, feared for her life and that of her family, and confronted the man with a gun, ordering him to leave. He refused her demands and advanced toward her, prompting the homeowner to fire at the intruder, hitting him in the leg. Investigators on the scene recommended no charges be filed against the homeowner. (ksbw.com, Hollister, Calif., 05/10/21)
3. A woman encountered an unknown man in her kitchen around 3 a.m. on a Monday, who was partially undressed and performing sexual acts. The resident armed herself and demanded that the intruder leave. The man initially complied and exited the house. However, he then made an aggressive movement, which resulted in the homeowner firing in self-defense. The man was later arrested. No charges were filed against the homeowner. (wtol.com, Toledo, Ohio, 06/21/21)
4. A woman was sitting in a dark parking lot when four men ambushed her, ordering her to exit her vehicle. One pointed a gun at her while another climbed into her passenger seat. The thugs demanded her phone, keys and wallet. Little did the would-be thieves know but the woman herself was armed, and she was able to draw her own gun. She struggled with the man in the car and the armed mugger until they finally backed off. However, the armed man attacked again, and she fired a shot at the assailants. The men fled the scene and the victim was able to call the police. None of the aggressors were hit, but the woman was OK. (TheBlaze.com, Sebring, Fla., 07/30/21)
5. A 21-year-old woman broke into an elderly couple’s home one night, seemingly randomly. The 72-year-old male resident was drawn into a physical altercation with the intruder, which prompted the 69-year-old female resident to retrieve a firearm. In fear for their lives, she fatally shot the woman attacking her husband. The homeowners were not charged, and police are still investigating the reason why the woman targeted their home. (Cleveland19.com, Olmsted, Ohio, 09/20/21)
6. A woman watched a man kick in her back door before 1 a.m., while her children were asleep in the house. The woman ran upstairs to her bedroom as the intruder followed her, all the while demanding money and threatening to shoot her. But instead of handing over cash and goods, the woman quickly retrieved her gun and shot the man, fatally wounding him. The woman then immediately ran to her neighbors’ house, where she pleaded for their help. When police arrived, they discovered the deceased man in the woman’s bedroom. (wishtv.com, Anderson, Ind., 09/29/21
7. A woman met with a man who claimed he wanted to buy the Xbox she had listed on an online local marketplace, but instead of paying her, he pointed a pistol at her head. The woman dropped the gaming console and ran to her car. However, the assailant began shooting at her. The victim was able to draw her own firearm and return fire. The man was hit and fled the scene, but police later found him being treated at a hospital for gunshot wounds. The man was arrested for attempted murder and armed robbery. (theadvocate.com, Baton Rouge, La., 10/07/21)