Red-dot sights on handguns have become so commonplace one would be hard-pressed to find a gun manufacturer that doesn’t offer an optics-ready variant for at least one of its models. The merits of these optics can and have been debated, but one fact that cannot be challenged is that nearly all of these red-dot devices have required some sort of modification or adjustment either by gun maker, operator, holster manufacturer—or all three. Until now.
Leupold has just announced a new red-dot sight that has undoubtedly changed the game for this genre of optics, particularly for the personal defense market. The new DeltaPoint Micro is a fully enclosed, low-profile red-dot sight designed specifically for concealed carry. Until now, there hasn’t been a compact red-dot sight suited for pistols with smaller frames and lower sight profiles. There are many reasons why we at NRA Women are anxious to install this new device on our pistols, but we've narrowed it down to 6 reasons why we think you, too, will love Leupold's new DeltaPoint Micro:
1. It works with a handgun you probably already own. If you've been considering purchasing an optics-ready pistol, you might not have to. If you own a non-MOS Glock—and we know many NRA Women love their Glock 19, 42, 43, 43X, 48 and more—the DP-Micro already fits these models and most other Glocks, as well as Smith & Wesson M&P pistols. And if you happen to carry a different make of gun, Leupold assures us they will be expanding the line to include more makes and models in the near future.
2. You don’t have to modify your pistol's slide. Installation takes place in the rear of your pistol, and is simple if you have access to and are familiar with how to use a sight pusher. However, we recommend you allow a qualified gunsmith to complete this task. Other than that, you won't have to face complicated mounting systems, replace factory sights or send your slide to factory for milling and retrofitting.
3. If you like your holster, you can keep your holster. Let's face it, if you carry your pistol on-body, finding the right holster is enough of a challenge for women without having to worry about one that accommodates a reflex sight. The compact design of the DP-Micro is ideal for concealed carry with smaller size handguns and lower sight profiles, and best of all, it doesn't interfere with your draw, so you don't have to begin the holster search all over again.
4. You won't gain weight. The DP-Micro is so small and light—2.25" in length and 1.25" in height; weighing in at just 1.1 ozs.—you won't even notice the difference no matter what method of carry you choose.
5. You won't need rear iron sights. Since the red dot of the DeltaPoint Micro aligns with the front sight of your pistol, you'll be able to co-witness the front sight, eliminating the need for aftermarket rear iron sights. What this translates to is improved target acquisition, which is what really matters when you are an armed citizen.
6. You can adjust the brightness. With eight levels of illumination, you can easily adjust the brightness of your red dot to match current external conditions. Battery life is preserved through a sleep mode, providing 3.5 years of constant runtime on illumination level 4.
MSRP is $519.99. For more on the Leupold DeltaPoint Micro red-dot sight, visit Leupold.com.